Assistant Project Manager
The Assistant Project Manager role consists of assisting in the delivery of project management activities on various size projects in the public and private sector.
What does the role involve?
- Support in the preparation of appointment documents for consultants.
- Set up the internal QA filing system.
- Produce the project directory and the project meeting schedule.
- Arrange meetings and workshops and produce agendas and minutes, as necessary.
- Support in the preparation of the brief and Employers Requirements.
- Produce the Project Execution Plans (PEP).
- Produce the risk registers/logs and risk workshop reviews.
- Support in value engineering reviews and workshops.
- Support in the production of the master programme and monitor progress.
- Support in the production of monthly reports and monitor progress.
- Produce the weekly/fortnightly dashboard reports.
- Support in producing the procurement strategy report.
- Support in tendering and procurement of the projects.
- Support in the production of Gateway documents and Governance papers
- Support in the implementation of change control.
- Set up the change control template and change control log.
- Set up the project manager’s instructions (PMI) template and register/log.
- Set up the contract administrators’ instructions (CAI) template and register/log.
- Set up the employers’ agent instructions (EAI) template and register/log.
- Carry out post contract administration duties in accordance with the building contract.
- Production and issuing of the certificates in accordance with the building contract – sectional completion, practical completion, end of defects etc.
- Site visits and inspections of work to date and health and safety on site.
- Define project escalation channels and support enforcing them.
- Support in the snagging process and inspections and handover process.
- Prepare the defects schedule and administer closing out the defects.
- Support in the post project review discussions and the negotiation of the final accounts.
- Always take personal responsibility for the health and safety of self and others by working within the Health and Safety policy and procedures.
- Endeavour to improve our social and environmental impact
- Any other duties as reasonably required of the role.
What skills and experience might a person need to undertake this this role?
- Qualified in relevant construction related degree.
- Two years plus, relevant experience within the construction industry and commercial awareness of the construction process.
- Achieved or actively working towards Chartership.
- Technical knowledge in all main areas of Project Management.
- A client-centric outlook, with an ambition to deliver projects meeting client objectives.
- Ability to deliver a small to medium size project with minor support from senior staff.
- Awareness of CDM and construction Health & Safety.
- Experience of using a wide range of Microsoft Office packages including Microsoft Project.
- Confident and proactive approach to work and self-development.
- Ability to effectively manage own time, tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to competently support team members.
- Ability to build relationships quickly and effectively.
- Attention to detail and highly organised.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Ability to work well both individually and as part of a team
What makes a Fulkers person?
What skills and experience might a person need to develop to become a Senior Project Manager?
- Ideally Chartered status with RICS (MRICS), APM (ChPP) or CIOB (MCIOB).
- Four years plus, relevant experience working within the construction industry in a similar discipline.
- Ability to deliver a medium to large size project with minor support from senior staff.
- Excellent technical knowledge in all areas of project management.
- A client-centric outlook with a focus on the delivery of targets, quality and deadlines, meeting client objectives cost effectively.
- Ability to hold own in discussions and meetings with contractors and senior clients and other stakeholders.
- Ability to delegate tasks to assistants and support them on project activities.
- Ability to network and willingness to contribute towards business development and fee proposals, has knowledge of clients and competitors and actively pursues potential business leads.
- Understanding of the business, the other disciplines and their services offered.
- Comply with technical processes and procedures.
- Ability to deliver a project from inception through to final account.
- Working knowledge of CDM and construction Health & Safety
Please remember, job descriptions are a guide to the skills, experience, and personal traits we consider necessary for each role.
The development of career progression will be driven by the individual, with the support of their manager and regular reviews and appraisals. Promotions will also be subject to business needs.
Job descriptions are not an exhaustive list and there is always an element of overlap between the roles as we support each other and undertake new work to gain experience.