The Building Surveyor role consists of working with Senior Building Surveyors and Associates to ensure that projects and tasks from outset to completions. The role involves working collaboratively with a varied team of construction professionals and stakeholders to allow projects and tasks to be delivered safely on time, and to budget whilst ensuring high levels of client satisfaction.
What does the role involve?
- Undertake measured surveys and site inspections.
- Preparing existing and proposed plans in CAD format, managing the review of existing and proposed plans.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of project administration and coordination, including implementation of duties.
- Preparation of project design and specifications.
- Experience with acting as Contract Administrator and/or Employers Agent.
- Preparation of tender documentation, tender evaluations, and tender recommendations.
- Managing projects of varied size and complexity.
- Support in providing contractual advice pre and post contract to other design team members and clients.
- Managing and working with multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Act as lead designer.
- Managing and coordinating site visits and surveys.
- Undertaking general day to day project duties.
- Preparation of Feasibility reports.
- Preparation of Building Regulation and planning applications.
- Assisting senior surveyors and associate directors with professional matters including but not limited to Party Wall Matters, Acquisition and Condition Surveys and Dilapidations.
- Maintaining technical working understanding of Buildings, construction, management, and operations, including their defects, and assist with the technical knowledge of other colleagues.
- Assisting in general office duties including such as preparing time sheets and attending weekly meetings.
- Managing progress meetings.
- Support the Senior Surveyors and Associate Directors keeping them informed of progress.
- Always take personal responsibility for the health and safety of self and others by working within the Health and Safety policy and procedures.
- Endeavour to improve our social and environmental impact
- Any other duties as reasonably required.
What skills and experience might a person need to undertake this this role?
- Five years plus relevant experience.
- Degree qualification (RICS accredited or equivalent).
- Achieved or working towards MRICS or MCIOB.
- To maintain the requirements for CPD as set out by the RICS and abide by all RICS rules and regulations.
- Experience of working within the construction industry and commercial awareness of the construction process.
- Excellent technical grounding in all main areas of building surveying.
- A client-centric outlook, with an ambition to deliver projects meeting client objectives cost effectively.
- Experience of using a wide range of Microsoft Office packages and experience in using industry standard processes and systems.
- Ability to deliver a project with minor support from senior staff.
- Able to effectively manage own time, tasks and meet deadlines.
- Able to network and willingness to contribute towards business development.
- Able to efficiently delegate tasks to assistants through the development of leadership skills.
- Able to competently support assistants.
- Attending meetings with colleagues and line manager.
- Able to competently support senior team members.
- To comply with all office administration and technical procedures.
What makes a Fulkers person?
What skills and experience might a person need to develop to become a Senior Building Surveyor?
- Ideally Chartered accreditation with at least two years post qualification experience.
- At least eight years plus, relevant experience working within the construction industry in a similar discipline.
- Ability to deliver larger and more complex projects through the whole project lifecycle.
- Excellent experience based technical/project knowledge.
- Ability to delegate tasks to others within the team and support their work.
- Support junior members of the team with mentoring and development.
- Development of leadership and management skills.
- Ability to manage fees and assist with fee bids.
- Generate new work through the management of client relations.
- Ability to work on own initiative to drive to generate new business.
- Understanding of the account management process.
- Ability to analyse projects and report performance to line manager.
- Excellent knowledge of internal systems and processes in order to advise and guide others.
- Excellent knowledge of CDM and construction Health & Safety.
Please remember, job descriptions are a guide to the skills, experience, and personal traits we consider necessary for each role.
The development of career progression will be driven by the individual, with the support of their manager and regular reviews and appraisals. Promotions will also be subject to business needs. Job descriptions are not an exhaustive list and there is always an element of overlap between the roles as we support each other and undertake new work to gain experience.
Based in our London or Kent offices. The position is full time and permanent
Please send all cvs to email@example.com if this role sounds like you!